Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. -Confucius
- It can contain trans fats, which puts you at higher risk of heart disease. Restaurants like trans fats since it raises the flash point and lets them use the same oil over and over again. At MindfulEats, we recommend everything in moderation, but we have zero tolerance for trans fats. Avoid this completely. If you have fried food, make sure there are no trans fats in it!
- It can make you obese. A Spanish study found that people who ate the most calories in fried food had a positive correlation with obesity. OK, maybe you're not shocked by this finding, but fried food is loaded with calories and fat. The breading on fried food soaks up the grease. It's kinda like drinking oil straight from the vat. Which you would never do.
- Wendy's large French fries (420 calories, 20g fat) vs. large baked potato (278 calories, 0.4g fat)
- PF Chang's Kung Pao Chicken (1228 calories, 79g fat) vs. Ginger Chicken with Broccoli (656 calories, 26g fat)
- KFC Original thigh & drumstick (460 calories, 32g fat) vs. Boston Market thigh & drumstick (300 calories, 17g fat)
What to do: Cut down on fried foods
- Avoid fried food; it's bad for you!
- If you have to indulge, be mindful when you do and limit it to once every two weeks, then once a month. If fried food is your ultimate fantasy, cut it way back. It's about reducing it to improve your batting average; you don't have to be perfect. Once a month won't kill you, and you'll start feeling better after a while.
- If you are indulging, make it a luxury and go to a high-quality restaurant and ask if they use partially hydrogenated oils. No trans fats!
- Fry it yourself to keep strict control on quality. Follow the above directions.
What I ate: 2 tangerines, 1 espresso, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 oz. almonds, 1/2 cup yogurt + 1t Sarabeth's strawberry-peach jam + 2T flaxseeds, 1 Eggs Copenhagen and potatoes (L'Express), 1 latte, 1 handful Mindful Mix, 1 kiwi, 1 grapefruit, 1 tofu+spinach+mushroom wrap (Grey Dog), 1 large green tea, 60 oz. water