What to do - Saute Food (And a recipe for broccoli rabe)
- Pull out a pan - either a frying pan or a saute pan. (A saute pan has higher sides.) Any pan will do, as long as the food will fit in one layer. If you are following the recipe, mince a couple cloves of garlic.
- Heat up some oil in medium heat. Not too much. You have a choice of oils since you are not cooking on high - olive, safflower and canola all work nicely.
- Chop up your food. If you are making meat, cut it into thinner slices. For the recipe, you will leave the broccoli rabe whole in stalks (8 stalks), but slice up 10 shiitake mushrooms.
- Once the oil is heated (you can check by dropping a little water in it - if it sizzles, the oil is heated), place your food in it. If you are following the recipe, drop the garlic in the oil and let cook until golden. Then place the broccoli rabe and mushrooms into the pan.
- Flavor the food with herbs and seasonings as you like. For the recipe, add 3 pinches of salt, and shake black pepper over to taste.
- Let it heat through, then flip it over and cook through on the other side. If you are cooking meat or seafood, you can cut into it to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. If you are making the broccoli rabe, cook through until wilted and then some, check after 5 minutes.
- Season to taste. We often use soy sauce, vinegar, salt or pepper. If you are following the recipe, squeeze 1/2 lemon over the broccoli rabe and mushrooms.