"More die in the United States of too much food than too little." -
John Kenneth Galbraith
And that's before any of the extras are added - like drinks, bread, fries, rice, dessert, etc. Yikes, that's a gazillion calories! Everytime you go out, you are loading up on calories and bad stuff. Go out for every meal, and you are going to be a fat, rolling cholesterol ball.
So please - don't make eating out a regular, everyday habit. MindfulEats knows that you will eat out (it's fun to relax over a meal with friends, we do it to), we just ask that you are moderate in the habit and what you order. We know that when we eat out several times in a week, we start to feel bloated, heavy and tired. We don't want you to feel that way too!
What to do - Eating Out
- Plan your meals ahead so you know when you will be eating out. Prepare your meals the rest of the time.
- Try to choose a healthier restaurant that serves high-quality food (it's worth paying extra, especially since it's a treat!)
- Research the menu beforehand so you can pick out healthier options. Go to the menu if there's one online, and check websites like this one for nutrition facts for similar meals. Or, if you have an iPhone, download the Restaurant Nutrition application. It's a great way to check out menu items while you're there.
- Read this post for tips on celebration eating.
- Don't go out starving. Snack on some fruit or Mindful Mix beforehand.
- Order mindfully. Be moderate. Sometimes restaurant menus have nutrition facts. If the restaurant you are going to/ordering out from posts their facts, use them to help you order.
- Don't order your own dessert. Have coffee, or share one with others.
- You don't need to finish your meal! If you're full, take the rest home and savor it later.
- Have fun and enjoy the experience.
- Since you are saving money by eating out less, try entertaining your friends with a healthy home-cooked meal next time.
What I ate: 1 banana, 2 oz. Mindful Mix, pureed spinach, 2 poached eggs, 2 potato pancakes, 1 tangerine, 2 lattes, Ethiopian meal: lentils, beans, collard greens, potato + beets, green beans + carrots, 2.5 cups injera bread, 45 oz. water
Exercise: 45 minutes running, 30 minutes weight-lifting